OptiPrep™ is a sterile, endotoxin-tested, multipurpose separation medium of 60% iodixanol in water with a density of 1.32 g/mL, ideal for isolating viruses, subcellular organelles, membranes, macromolecules, and cells, especially when the control of osmolality is a priority. Iodixanol has undergone rigorous clinical testing and is manufactured under strict EU cGMP compliance.
- Iodixanol 60% (w/v)
- Density 1.320 ± 0.001 g/ml
- Osmolality ~170 mOsm
- Endotoxin < 1.0 EU/ml
- Analysis of cell signalling and membrane trafficking
- Endocytosis and exocytosis analysis
- purification of mammalian and non-mammalian cells; routinely achieve maximum non-human lymphocyte yield without neutrophil contamination
- Mammalian and non-mammalian organelle purification
- Domain purification and plasma membranes
- Purification of membrane vesicles and cytosol
- virus purification
- Plasma lipoprotein purification
- Purification of proteins and protein complexes
- Plasmid DNA purification
- Ribonucleoprotein purification
Characteristics and properties
- Developed as an X-ray contrast medium and therefore has undergone rigorous clinical testing.
- Non-toxic to cells.
- Metabolically inert.
- Biologically and physicochemically very similar to Nycodenz® with a few key differences:
- Structurally, an approximate dimer of Nycodenze
- Osmolality approximately half that of a Nycodenz® solution of the same density
- Can be made isosmotic at all densities
- Can be added directly to a suspension of cells or organelles without changing their osmolality, facilitating purification on flotation gradients
- Forms self-generating gradients faster than Nycodenz® due to its higher molecular mass
- High viability of gradient-purified mammalian and non-mammalian cells
- Efficient fractionation of organelles and membrane vesicles using preformed or self-generated gradients
- Virus infectivity at least 100 times higher than that of CsCl gradients
- Better preservation of protein-protein and protein-nucleic acid complexes than with sucrose or glycerol gradients
- Plasma lipoproteins analyzed in self-generated gradients in 4 h
- Least guaranteed endotoxin level is less than 1.0 EU/mL (as determined by the Limulus amebocyte lysate (LAL) test); however, our goal is to produce batches with endotoxin levels less than or equal to 0.13 EU/ml.
- The actual density and endotoxin level values for each batch are specified in the Certificates of Analysis.
- Sterility is claimed according to Ph. Eur.
- Manufactured, packaged and released in accordance with:
- Current EU guidance on good manufacturing practice
- Fresenius Kabi AS quality system
- Manufacturing license Fresenius Kabi AS